Columbus Truck Accident Lawyer Recovering Compensation for Semi-Truck Accident Victims
Truck accidents can result in severe injuries and leave you unable to work, pay your bills, or take care of your family. Unfortunately, these cases are difficult for non-lawyers to pursue. Were you injured in a truck accident? A Columbus truck accident lawyer at Malek & Malek Law Firm can help you get compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Tractor Trailer Accident Cases Require an Experienced Columbus Truck Accident Lawyer
Many people assume truck accident cases are the same as car accident cases. As a result, they either do not need a personal injury lawyer or consider an attorney who handles car accident cases will be sufficient. Unfortunately, this is a mistake. Truck accidents are unique in many ways, and you should, therefore, consult with an experienced and knowledgeable Columbus truck accident lawyer.
Semi-trucks and tractor-trailers are much larger and heavier than the average passenger vehicle. When traveling at highway speeds, they can cause tremendous damage, serious injuries, and sometimes even death when involved in a collision. Other unique factors are often overlooked:
- Trucks require a greater stopping distance. Due to their size and weight, trucks take much longer to stop than smaller vehicles. As a result, it is much harder for them to stop quickly to avoid an accident.
- Trucks have larger blind spots. Because of their long trailers, it is much more difficult for drivers to see vehicles in their blind spots. Blind spots result in unsafe lane changes and cause many truck accidents.
- Trucks are less maneuverable. Trucks require special skills and experience to drive safely. Sharp turns, swerving, or over-correcting can easily lead to accidents.
- The cargo can also be a factor. Tractor-trailers often carry heavy and sometimes hazardous cargo. An unbalanced load can make the truck even more challenging to maneuver. An overloaded truck can require an even longer stopping distance. Flammable or otherwise hazardous materials can result in additional damage or injuries in the event of an accident.
Each of these factors can play a unique role in causing an accident. Understanding how these factors may have contributed to your accident is critical to recovering compensation in your case.
Identifying Fault with a Columbus Truck Accident Lawyer
In addition to the unique factors discussed above, truck accidents often have unique causes. Many truck accidents are the result of the following:
- Mechanical failures. Semi-trucks spend thousands of hours on the road and travel hundreds of thousands of miles. As a result, they require much more maintenance than the average passenger vehicle. Trucking companies may neglect to keep up with fleet maintenance out of carelessness or in an attempt to reduce overhead. Unfortunately, bald tires, failing brakes, or other mechanical failures can result in catastrophic accidents.
- Lack of driver training or experience. As mentioned above, driving a tractor-trailer requires a special skill set and substantial experience. Many accidents are caused by inexperienced drivers or drivers who do not have sufficient training.
- Driving while drowsy. Truck drivers spend long hours behind the wheel and are under intense pressure to make deliveries on time. Due to these conditions, truck drivers often drive drowsy, impacting their ability to react to hazards, and avoid accidents.
- Failure to supervise. Trucking companies are obligated to manage their drivers to ensure they are driving safely. Companies must hire drivers with the appropriate amount of training and experience and a clean driving record.
- Dangerous corporate culture. In some cases, trucking companies may encourage and even require drivers to engage in unsafe behavior.
Many truck accidents also result from the same causes of other motor vehicle accidents such as speeding, distracted driving, or tailgating. A Columbus truck accident lawyer can help correctly identify the cause of your accident as it may determine who may be held liable for your injuries.
Liability is Complicated in Ohio Semi-Truck Accident Cases
In most car accident cases, determining who you should pursue a claim against is relatively straightforward; it is most often against the other driver. However, in a truck accident case, multiple parties may be responsible for your accident.
In many cases, the trucking company may be held liable for the driver’s negligence through the concept of vicarious liability. However, this does not mean the trucking company is automatically responsible for your accident. There are layers of potential liability that must be considered:
- The driver. Many truck drivers are independent contractors. If the accident was caused purely by the driver’s negligence, you might have to pursue the driver independently. However, there are exceptions, so it is important to consult with an experienced Columbus truck accident lawyer.
- The trucking company. As mentioned above, trucking companies are obligated to maintain their trucks properly and adequately train and supervise their drivers. The trucking company may be held liable for your accident when they have failed to operate their company responsibly.
- The cargo loaders. Semi-trucks rarely travel empty, and it’s common for the truck to carry cargo on the return trip. As a result, a different company may have loaded the trip improperly, which led to the accident.
- Other drivers. Another driver’s negligence may have caused the accident in addition to the truck driver or the trucking company.
There may be multiple parties responsible for your accident, and as a result, you will have to navigate a complicated web of insurers. A Columbus truck accident lawyer can pursue your claim against the appropriate parties while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
Contact Malek & Malek Today to Fight for Your Compensation
Our injury attorneys have been helping truck accident victims in the Columbus area for over 30 years, and we understand the challenges you face. Let us help you get back on your feet. We can get you compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. To schedule a free consultation with a Columbus truck accident lawyer, call us today at 888-444-7440 or contact us online.