Columbus Car Accident Lawyer Representing Accident Victims in Ohio
An automobile crash interrupts your life. Nobody plans to get into a car accident, but it happens. Not only is your car damaged or destroyed, but you also must recover from your physical injuries. Then there are the financial stressors: who will pay to repair or replace your car, how will you pay your medical bills. Finally, there are the legal stressors: is the wrongdoer denying they caused the accident, are they uninsured or under-insured, are they trying to claim you caused the accident. It is essential to speak with a Columbus car accident lawyer or auto accident lawyer at Malek & Malek Law Firm before settling your claim with an insurance company.
Insurance companies are a big business that make billions of dollars a year. Insurance companies pay out as little money as they can get away with to generate their multi-billion dollar annual revenue. In doing so, they do not always consider the long term effects of injuries when settling claims. Our attorneys will fight to make sure your interests are protected.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Ohio
While modern cars do an excellent job of keeping us safe, car accidents can still result in injuries ranging from minor to severe. And while some injuries require only minimal medical treatment, others can require months of recovery and even result in permanent disabilities or death. We have handled car accident cases that involve the following injuries:
- Lacerations and contusions
- Broken bones
- Torn ligaments and tendons
- Internal organ damage
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
In addition to the physical injuries you may suffer, it is also common for car accident victims to suffer emotional and psychological trauma as a result of their accident:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
If you have suffered any of these injuries resulting from a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. A Columbus car accident lawyer can assess your case and help you understand your options.
Your Injuries May Not Be Immediately Apparent
It is not uncommon for people to feel “fine” at the scene of the accident or immediately afterward, only to start experiencing symptoms in the days that follow. Even if you declined medical treatment at the scene, you should get a thorough medical examination if you begin to feel pain, stiffness, or soreness. Your injuries could grow worse over time if left untreated and result in a permanent disability. Some common delayed symptoms include the following:
- Loss of range of motion
- Severe or recurring headaches
- Abdominal pain or swelling
- Tingling in your extremities or loss of sensation
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty concentrating, clouded thinking, or general confusion
- Severe back or neck pain or stiffness
Of course, you should also see your doctor if you have already received treatment, but your symptoms persist or worsen. Listen to your body. If you have been diagnosed with an injury, you should also speak with a Columbus car accident lawyer to discuss whether you should pursue a compensation claim.
How Your Columbus Car Accident Attorney Will Establish Liability
The critical issue in most car accident cases is proving the other driver’s negligence caused the accident. Negligence is defined as the failure to take due care to prevent accidents and cause injuries to others. Even though it may seem obvious to you that the other driver was at fault, you still have to prove your case, which can be far more complicated than you might think.
An experienced and skilled car accident attorney can help you identify the accident’s cause and establish the other driver was negligent. Common sources of negligence in car accident cases are as follows:
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Running a stop sign or stoplight
- Unsafe lane changes
Your Columbus accident lawyer can identify the facts that will be relevant to proving the other driver was negligent and understands how the law applies to your case.
What Your Columbus Car Accident Claim May Be Worth?
You may be surprised by how quickly the insurance company will try to settle your case. Insurance settlement offers are often far less than what your case may be worth. Unfortunately, if you end up with losses that are not covered by your settlement, and at that point, you cannot seek additional compensation.
An experienced Columbus accident lawyer can provide an estimate of what your case may be worth. Generally speaking, your compensation may include the following losses:
- Your medical expenses: especially those that are not covered by your health insurance, such as copays and deductibles
- Your lost wages: whether you are unable to return to work or had to take time off for treatment. If you have suffered a permanent injury, you may also be entitled to future lost wages
- Your pain and suffering: physical pain and mental anguish, as well as the loss of sleep or your inability to pursue hobbies or simply live your daily life as you did before your accident
Your claim is likely worth far more than what the insurance company will voluntarily pay. However, you are entitled to be made whole under the law. As a result, you need a Columbus car accident lawyer who can help you get the compensation you need so you can make a full recovery and put your life back together.
How a Columbus Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
A personal injury lawyer can provide help that goes far beyond the courtroom. Even if your case never goes to trial, an experienced attorney can help you navigate the claim process so you can get the compensation you need. Here are the ways a car accident lawyer from Malek Law Firm can help you with your case:
- Accident investigation. They can review all of the facts and circumstances surrounding your case to prove what happened and why the other driver should be held liable.
- Obtain statements from witnesses. Eyewitnesses can provide some of the most compelling evidence in your case. Your Columbus car accident lawyer can obtain statements that give a clear and convincing recollection of what happened in your accident.
- Assemble the necessary documents. Your lawyer can obtain accident reports and other important documents. They can also help gather and organize your medical bills, doctor’s reports, and proof of lost wages that you will need to prove your claim.
- Handle communications. Your lawyer can handle all verbal and written communications on your behalf. This is especially important when dealing with your insurance company, as they often try to use your own statements against you.
Your lawyer can play a vital role in getting the compensation you deserve so you can focus on your recovery.
Call the Columbus Car Accident Attorneys at the Malek Law Firm
We have decades of experience in helping car accident victims in the Columbus area get the compensation they need to rebuild their lives. To schedule a free consultation with a Columbus car accident lawyer, call us today at 888-444-7440 or contact us online.