Columbus Premises Liability Lawyer
Property owners have a legal duty to ensure the safety of guests and visitors. If you have been injured on another person’s property, whether private, public, or commercial, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, your lost wages, and your pain and suffering. However, premises liability cases can be difficult to prove, and non-lawyers are typically unable to successfully pursue their claims. If you have been injured on someone else’s property, you should speak with a Columbus premises liability attorney at Malek & Malek Law Firm as soon as possible.
Ohio Premises Liability Explained
As mentioned above, property owners have a legal obligation to ensure their property is safe for guests and visitors. Property owners are negligent when they fail to make a reasonable effort to prevent accidents and injuries to other people. In the context of a premises liability case, negligence typically arises in one of the following ways:
- The property owner fails to correct a known hazardous condition.
- The property owner fails to warn guests and visitors of a known hazardous condition.
- The property owner should have known about a hazardous condition but failed to inspect the property.
When the property owner is negligent, they may be held liable for any resulting injuries. As straightforward as it may sound, determining the property owner was negligent is more complicated than you might think. An experienced Columbus premises liability attorney can review the circumstances of your case and decide whether or not you may have a claim.
Types of Premises Liability Cases in Columbus
The most common type of premises liability case is perhaps a slip and fall accident, where someone is injured when they slip or trip on dangerous flooring or walkways. However, premises liability claims can also include the following:
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Environmental hazards such as toxic fumes or chemicals
- Swimming pool accidents
- Dog bites to delivery workers and other guests
- Electrical shocks
Any hazard the property owner knew or should have known about that causes an injury may give rise to a premises liability claim. Do not assume your accident was simply bad luck – the property owner may have failed in their obligation to ensure your safety.
How a Columbus Premises Liability Attorney Can Help
If you were injured on someone else’s property, and if your injury was the result of the property owner’s or tenant’s negligence, then you are entitled to just compensation under Ohio law. Negligence can take many forms. For example, some of the most common grounds for pursuing premises liability claims in Ohio include:
- Failure to clean up spills
- Failure to repair or replace the damaged flooring material
- Failure to repair or replace cracked concrete or asphalt
- Failure to adequately maintain elevators and escalators
- Failure to warn guests and customers of known hazards (i.e., by placing cones around a wet area of the floor)
A Columbus premises liability lawyer can help you build a strong case to get the compensation you need. They can do far more than file lawsuits. They provide valuable assistance from the very first day:
- Your lawyer can collect the documentation you need, including accident reports, medical bills, and medical reports.
- Your lawyer can interview witnesses or other parties.
- Your lawyer can handle all communications with the insurance company, the property owner, and anyone else who may be involved in the case.
- Subject to your approval, they can negotiate any settlement of your claim.
Of course, your personal injury lawyer can also help you navigate the legal system should you ultimately need to file a lawsuit. A Columbus premises liability lawyer can help you pursue your claim so you can focus on your recovery.
Premises Liability Due To Inadequate Security
Have you been a victim of criminal activity at an apartment complex? You may be able to recover monetary damages for your injuries by contacting a Columbus premises liability lawyer. A business is aware of criminal activity and does nothing to notify authorities or stop the behavior; they are responsible for any harm done to the customers, tenants, and guests.
It is an injustice when a landlord fails to provide adequate security, and you were injured as a result. The attorneys at Malek Law Firm have a great deal of experience representing clients who were injured due to inadequate security.
We can help with your serious injuries occurring at:
- Apartment Complexes
- Shopping Malls
- Parking Lots
- Night Clubs
- Movie Theaters
- Business Complexes
- Parks and other locations
Do I Have a Premises Liability Claim in Columbus?
So, do you have a premises liability claim? Here are three key questions that will help determine your legal rights:
- Were you injured on public or private property? As long as you were not injured in your own home, you could have a premises liability claim under Ohio law (if you were injured in your own home, you could have other grounds to pursue a financial recovery). This is true whether you were injured at someone else’s home, in a common area of your condo or apartment building, at a business, in a government building, or in a public area such as a park or playground.
- Was the accident recent? You have up to two years to file a premises liability claim under Ohio law. However, it is important that you speak with a Columbus personal injury attorney about your situation as soon as possible.
- Have you seen a doctor for treatment? To file a claim, you will need evidence that your injuries resulted from the accident. This makes it critically important to see a doctor as soon after the accident as possible. If you haven’t yet seen a doctor, we can provide you with a referral.
Contact a Columbus Premises Liability Lawyer at Malek Law Firm Today
If you have been injured on someone else’s property, we can help you get compensation. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at 888-444-7440 or contact us online.