How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost in Columbus, Ohio?
When you get injured in an accident in Ohio, hiring a personal injury lawyer is one of the first steps you should take to protect your legal rights. There are many ways an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you, from proving fault to calculating the financial compensation you deserve.
If you have questions about the cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Columbus, Ohio, you are not alone. Many accident victims face significant financial hardship, and they need to know that they are making the right decisions for themselves and their families. So, how much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer Costs Nothing Out-of-Pocket
The most important thing you need to know is that hiring a personal injury lawyer costs nothing out-of-pocket. This means that when you hire a personal injury lawyer, you will pay:
- No retainer fees
- No cost deposits
- No hourly rates
- No monthly legal bills
- No flat-fee payments
Personal injury lawyers provide legal representation at no out-of-pocket cost because they know that most of their clients cannot afford to pay with the limited funds they have currently. This cost structure also helps ensure that personal injury lawyers act with their clients’ best interests in mind. Rather than charging upfront costs or sending monthly bills, personal injury lawyers represent their clients on a “contingency fee” basis—which means they only get paid if they win.
How Costs Work in Personal Injury Cases
Pursuing a personal injury claim involves several costs. For example, your law firm will need to pay an investigator, and it may make sense to hire an accident reconstructionist to assist with determining liability. If your lawyer needs to file a lawsuit, issue subpoenas, take depositions or take your case to trial, these are all steps that involve costs as well.
Your law firm will cover these costs while your personal injury case is pending. If your case is unsuccessful for any reason, you will not have to repay the costs your law firm incurred on your behalf. This is a risk that your law firm takes on when it agrees to represent you. But, if your case is successful, your law firm will recoup these costs from your settlement or verdict.
How Legal Fees Work in Personal Injury Cases
As a personal injury client, you will not pay any legal fees while your case is pending. Instead, your legal fees will be covered under your “contingency fee” arrangement—just like your costs. If your case is unsuccessful, you owe nothing. That’s it, end of story. But, if your personal injury lawyer helps you recover just compensation, your legal fees will be calculated as a percentage of your award.
Different law firms charge different percentages for handling personal injury cases. Oftentimes, law firms will charge a lower percentage if they are able to negotiate a settlement and a higher percentage if they need to go to court. This is due to the additional time and effort involved in preparing a case for trial. At Malek & Malek Law Firm, we are fully transparent about our fees; and, before you hire us to represent you, we will let you know exactly how much we will collect if we succeed in asserting your legal rights.
Is It Worth Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer in Columbus, Ohio?
Given that you will have to pay costs and legal fees if your case is successful, is it worth hiring a personal injury lawyer in Columbus, Ohio? Or, are you just as well off (or potentially better off) trying to handle your personal injury claim on your own?
An experienced and reputable personal injury lawyer will only take your case if the lawyer believes he or she can help you collect more than you could collect on your own. If you have a relatively small and straightforward claim, hiring a lawyer may not be worth it. But, if you need to seek financial compensation for ongoing medical care, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other losses, then it will almost always make sense to put an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side.
Here are five reasons why it is worth hiring a personal injury lawyer if you are facing significant losses due to an accident in Columbus, Ohio:
- Figuring Out What Claim (or Claims) You Need to File – As an accident victim, you could potentially have a variety of claims. Your lawyer can investigate to determine which claim (or claims) you need to file to recover the compensation you deserve.
- Calculating Your Long–Term Financial Costs – Your lawyer can use his or her experience to calculate the long-term financial costs of your accident. This includes future medical costs, lost earnings and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Calculating Just Compensation for Your Non–Financial Losses – If you are entitled to compensation for your non-financial losses (i.e., pain and suffering), you will need a lawyer to calculate just compensation for these losses as well. You will also need to rely on your lawyer to prove these losses on your behalf.
- Avoiding Costly Mistakes – From giving recorded statements to signing release forms, there are several costly mistakes you need to avoid when you have a personal injury claim. Your lawyer can explain everything you need to avoid doing in order to protect your legal rights.
- Negotiating a Fair Settlement (and Going to Court if Necessary) – Your lawyer can also negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf. This is not easy—it requires skills cultivated through years or decades of experience. If the insurance companies refuse to settle, your lawyer can file a personal injury lawsuit in court.
Speak with a Personal Injury Lawyer About Your Case for Free
If you think you may need to hire a personal injury lawyer, your first step is to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. This is your opportunity to ask questions, learn about your legal rights and find out if it is worth hiring a lawyer to take your case. To arrange a free, no-obligation consultation at Malek & Malek Law Firm in Columbus, Ohio, please call 888-444-7440 or request an appointment online today.