As we recently discussed, there are a variety of injury risks during the holiday season. From slippery roads to unsafe cooking appliances, several issues can lead to serious, painful and debilitating injuries. In this article, our Columbus personal injury attorneys explain what to do (and not do) if you get injured during the holidays in Ohio.
What To Do if You Get Injured During the Holidays
Whether you were injured in a car accident, at home or on someone else’s property, there are some important steps you should try to take after getting injured during the holidays. While you might not want to prioritize these steps, doing so will be important for both your health and your financial recovery:
- Take care of yourself. See a doctor, get a diagnosis and follow your doctor’s advice. Even if this means resting at home instead of celebrating the holidays, you need to make sure you do not jeopardize your recovery.
- Keep any evidence. Whether you have pieces of your broken car, a damaged cooking appliance or ladder, damaged clothing, or photos on your phone, be sure to keep any evidence you have in your possession. Don’t throw anything out until you consult with a Columbus personal injury attorney.
- File a claim (if necessary). If you were injured in a vehicle collision or an accident at work, you may need to file a claim promptly to protect your legal rights. If you are not comfortable contacting your insurance company or employer on your own, our attorneys can help.
What NOT To Do if You Get Injured During the Holidays
In addition to taking these steps, you should be sure to avoid some costly mistakes as well. Here are three things not to do if you’ve been injured during the holiday season:
- Post on social media. If you’ve been injured in an accident, you need to resist the temptation to post about the accident on social media. It won’t help your claim for compensation; and, if anything, it will make it more difficult to collect the compensation you deserve.
- Ignore your situation. Even though it is the holiday season, you cannot ignore your situation. You need to take care of yourself, and you need to make sure you take the necessary steps to protect your legal rights.
- Wait to seek help. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is waiting until after the holiday season to seek help. This applies to both seeking medical treatment and speaking with an attorney. The insurance companies will take advantage of any opportunity to use your own mistakes against you, and this includes putting your holiday celebrations before your recovery.
Request a Free Consultation with a Columbus Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been injured during the holidays, our attorneys can help you make informed decisions, and we can take many of the most important steps on your behalf. To get started with a free and confidential consultation, call 888-444-7440 or tell us how we can reach you online today.