Scary Images of Columbus Car Accident Highlight Risks at Intersections
ABC 6 affiliate WSYX recently reported on a scary crash that happened in downtown Columbus. Photos of the accident showed an SUV wrapped around a stoplight pole from the passenger’s side, with another severely damaged vehicle sitting underneath. Fortunately, WSYX reports that both victims were in stable condition following the collision. While the report does not indicate the cause of the accident, the fact that it happened at an intersection suggests a number of possible factors, as Columbus car accident lawyer Ed Malek explains.
Intersections Can Be Extremely Dangerous, Especially in High Traffic Areas
Most of us drive through multiple intersections every day, and we rarely think about the risks that they present. However, the reality is that intersections can be extremely dangerous, and data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggest that more than a third of all car accidents occur at intersections controlled by stoplights and stop signs.
Crashes like the one reported by WSYX should serve as a reminder for all drivers to pay attention and drive defensively when approaching intersections. Among other things, this means that drivers approaching intersections should:
- Avoid distractions such as reading signs, looking at GPS directions or talking on the phone
- Leave enough of buffer between vehicles to allow for gradual stopping and prevent a chain-reaction accident
- Never speed up to try to “beat” a yellow light
- Check for traffic from all directions before proceeding through a stop sign or turning right on red
- Never run red lights or proceed through stop signs without coming to a complete stop
These are all common factors in car accidents at intersections in Columbus and the surrounding areas. If all drivers would stay focused on the task at hand, slow down and stop when required to do so, and otherwise observe the rules of the road, there would be far fewer collisions—and far fewer drivers and passengers would suffer life-altering and life-threatening injuries.
What Should You Do After an Accident at an Intersection in Columbus?
Despite the fact that intersection accidents are preventable, drivers are going to keep making poor decisions, and this means that these accidents are going to keep happening. If you are injured in an accident at an intersection in Columbus, you should:
- Call 911 from the scene of the accident. Tell the dispatcher the name of both cross streets, and let him or her know if you need an ambulance.
- Take as many photos as you can. Once you get home, you should also write down the series of events that led to the crash.
- Collect the other driver’s vehicle and insurance information, and try to collect contact information from anyone who witnessed the crash.
- Get medical treatment. Even if you don’t need an ambulance, you should still get yourself to a doctor’s office or hospital for a thorough diagnosis.
- Talk to a Columbus personal injury lawyer about your legal rights. Dealing with insurance companies isn’t easy, so you will want an experienced attorney on your side.
Speak with a Columbus Accident Lawyer at Malek & Malek Law Firm
If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of dealing with an intersection accident, we can help. For a free, no-obligation consultation with an experienced Columbus personal injury lawyer, call 888-444-7440 or contact us online today.